Does Flossing Help Bad Breath?

by | Aug 18, 2014

Does flossing help bad breath?

In today’s “Ask the dentist” video, we asked Vancouver Dentist Dr. Ed Lowe if dental floss helps with bad breath. The answer may surprise you. In case you missed it, here’s the video transcript:

Dr. Lowe: Absolutely, when you floss your teeth, some people just brush their teeth for starters. The regimen I recommend is brushing, flossing, tongue scrapping, and mouthwash. But when you just brush your teeth, you probably are removing only 40% of the plaque in your mouth. So the other 60% of the plaque that’s in your mouth is sitting between your teeth and on your tongue. So flossing is going to remove that. And scraping your tongue; if you’ve ever scrapped your tongue it’s pretty scary, so you know we give out tongue scrappers in our practise. When you scrape your tongue you know that removes the rest of the plaque and the mouthwash just keeps everything nice and clean it just disinfects it.